It was a day of great participation from the community, with a record-breaking 510 runners and walkers in the Helping Hands for Cancer Run/Walk, along with 30 vendors who took part in the Health Fair on the campus of CHN Berlin Memorial Hospital on Saturday, May 21st.
Congratulations to the overall winner, Bryce Verheyen, age 14 from Waupun, who finished the race in 18:08! First female to cross the finish line was Carolyn Redington with a time of 20:56. (for more race details visit www.chn5k.org)
The following individuals and businesses gave of their time, financial support, and equipment to make the logistics of the event possible:
- Community Health Network
- Berlin Journal Newspapers
- Warrens Future Citizens 4H Club
- Waste Management
- Stryker Orthopaedics
- Boys & Girls Club
- Hietpas Electric
- Berlin American Legion
- A.F. Gelhar Sand Company
- Berlin Trophy and Specialty Products
- Berlin Police Department and City of Berlin
- Kwik Trip
- B104.7 and Marty in the Morning
- WAUH - WISS
- Oshkosh Tent and Awning
- Friends of the Park
- Berlin Seniors
- PaceSetters Race Equipment
- Kitz & Pfeil
- Berlin High School Cross Country Team
- Klement’s Famous Racing Sausages! (Courtesy of John Horejs, Reinhart Foods)
- Papa Murphy’s Pizza
- To our generous GOLD MEDAL Sponsors: Berlin Trophy, OTA, A.F. Gelhar Sand Co, First National Bank, Magnum Products, Farmers and Merchants Bank, and Badger Mining. To our SILVER MEDAL Sponsor: Bremner Food Group.
- The following individuals: Traci, Jacob and Andrew Hegner, Rob and Cathy Hargrave Family, Rob Haese, Mary Kay and Tom Schwarz, Janet and Gene Meyer, Vickie VanSistine, Amy Brooks, Sherryl Wilson, Susie Albright, Pam Alf, Lynn Klemen, Angie Fralish, Deb Hiemstra, Danielle Fralish, Kiana Platte, Emily Jones, Kara Wesner, Diane Klika, Gary Knoke, Molly McKinnon, Brenda Podoll, Brad Resop, Rachel Merrick, Stacey Schuster, Brianne Lund, James Wendt, and CHN Staff.
Thanks to all who made this a very successful event! Please mark your calendar for next year, May 19, 2012 when once again area businesses, walkers, and runners will meet the challenge to be the Healthiest Day in Berlin!