We are pleased that you and your physician have chosen us for your surgery. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you and will give our full attention to the individual needs and concerns of your surgical care. We want your stay with us to be as comfortable as possible. We have prepared these easy guidelines for you to make your stay more pleasant.
The week before surgery
A registered nurse from Berlin Memorial Hospital will call you before your surgery for any pre-admission information. At that time, the nurse will tell you a tentative time to arrive before your procedure. If that should change, we will notify you of the time. You will need to have a physical examination before your procedure, and any appropriate tests, at your doctor’s office. These tests should be completed one to seven days prior to surgery, please follow your doctor’s instructions carefully. Please bring any papers given to you at this time, along with your insurance, Medicare or Medical Assistance Cards, on the day of surgery.
The day before surgery
Do not smoke after noon on the day before surgery. Following your doctor’s instructions is important for your safety. Failure to follow instructions may cause your surgery to be cancelled or rescheduled. If you develop a cold, fever, sore throat or any other illnesses, please notify your physician before you come to the hospital. Your doctor will decide if your surgery should be rescheduled.
The day of surgery
Please shampoo and bathe or shower the evening before or the morning of your surgery. You may brush your teeth, but be careful not to swallow any water or toothpaste. If your child is having surgery, he/she should not brush his/her teeth unless you are certain no water will be swallowed.
Wear comfortable street clothes to the hospital.
Do not wear any jewelry or bring large amounts of money with you.
Remove all body piercings.
Remove acrylic nails if operating on upper extremity.
If you wear contact lenses, be sure to bring the storage case and all care and use items with you, along with your glasses. Remove all nail polish and makeup. This allows the staff to observe your natural color changes and to evaluate your circulation during surgery.
Please have a driver available to bring you and take you home.
- You may receive an evaluation form. If you receive this, please take a few moments to complete the evaluation. These evaluations help us make changes and corrections if needed. If you have a serious concern, please do not wait for the evaluation. Please contact the Surgery Department at 361-5544 or your physician’s office.
1. If you are told, please bring the medications you are presently taking in properly identified containers.
2. If you are a diabetic, bring your pills and insulin with you.
3. If you will need crutches or walker, you are responsible for getting a pair and bringing them with you the day of your surgery.
4. Be sure to tell the nurses if you have not followed the instructions given to you prior to surgery.
5. It is very important for you to rest after your procedure. Please do not bring children to the hospital.
6. If you have not given the hospital a copy of your Durable Power of Attorney, Living Will or Guardian papers, please bring them along the day of your procedure.
Arrival at the hospital
You have been instructed where to go for your admission. If you are arriving before 6 a.m., the entrance doors may still be locked. If so, you may enter through our Emergency Department and they will direct you to the Surgical Care Center (SCC).
- Surgical Day Care:
Enter through the East SCC entrance. Take the elevator to the lower level.
Intensive Care Unit / A.M. Admits:
Please stop in Patient Registration, which is located in the main lobby of the hospital.
Family Birth Center:
Take main lobby elevator to 2nd Floor and make a hard right. If you have any questions, please call (920) 361-5521
If you have any questions about your admission, please call the Surgical Coordinator at (920) 361-5713. You may download a copy of this information <HERE>
If you have any questions about your admission, please call the Surgical Coordinator at (920) 361-5713.
You may download a copy of this information <HERE>